Front Seams Removal

General Mini and non-Mini related chat.

Moderators: PhillB, Jonesy, timmy201, Sir Alec

Front Seams Removal

Unread postby grahlynne » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Just wanting some views on the removal of front seams that normally run down from roof gutter to wheel arch of front guards (Panel Van) I don't see many photos of cars with this having been doen but sadly the Van we have has already had them removed by previous owner to make it look better
if its a taboo thing then perhaps I could look at possible replacing them although it would be a massive task its at the stage of a bare shell almost so now would be the time
grahlynne

Re: Front Seams Removal

Unread postby grahlynne » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Feel like i am talking to myself but we have decided to reinstate seems and put new covers on after body work is done noting some forums state some covers are brazed top and bottom and some are not ???? Any opnions on this
grahlynne

Unread postby 2lateagain » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:51 pm

As the seam was part of the panel, A panel had a lip and the mudguard also had a lip and they were spot welded together to form the seam. How are you going to replace it as it would have been ground or cut off and possibly extra metal added where possible and the remainder possibly brazed or mig to get a join that could be smoothed over.

How are you planning to replace a strip that is about 10mm wide, it would take an extremely good welder to accomplish that with out having a large weld in the join ( large being that there was nothing there when the panels were made). The cover strip normally sits very close to face of the panels with minimal gap. Yes I understand that most cover strips were brazed top and bottom, at least my lot have been.

From memory I have read that if the seams are removed some inspectors or who ever is checking the vehicle for registration require an engineers certificate to say that the vehicle is roadworthy, not going to fall apart at the first speed bump.

Graham
2lateagain

Unread postby grahlynne » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Its going to be a project thats for sure but i have been doing A LOTTA thinking and planning and feel very confident i will make it right
Thanks
grahlynne

Unread postby PhillB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 am

Seam removal was (unfortunately) one of those things that was cool to do in the 70s. Some of the highly modified touring cars would have done it to improve areodynamics but plenty were done just for looks. I’m sure some were done well and some were rough backyard jobs.

I suppose the most important thing is to see if whoever has done it on your car has done a satisfactory job rejoining the panels. Then depends if you feel an engineer needs to give it the ok as well, which might be important in the future especially if you leave them off and then need to get a blue slip for rego.

I have heard of people adding fake seams to return cars to the original appearance but never seen one done.

A few of us may be heading up to the All British Day at Kings School Parramatta. Mini Car Club have a big turnout and would be plenty of brains to pick there if you have questions.

I will be adding the details to the forum later today.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby grahlynne » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks Phill
I have a plan in place and will be interested in getting more input
grahlynne

Return to General Forum