Suspension

General Mini and non-Mini related chat.

Moderators: PhillB, Jonesy, timmy201, Sir Alec

Suspension

Unread postby Carlo Madaschi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi Everyone, a friend of mine (David Palmeiro) has almost completed a long time restoration on a mini that I believe was handed down from his Grandmother way back when we were still at school. David has been on a couple of runs with us in the past. He has reconditioned almost everything, but has been unable to drive it because he requires the Hydrolastic suspension to be pumped up. He was wondering if anyone in the club has a pump he can use or can get access to one. I believe Graham Lord may have one but it would mean trailering his car to the workshop. If David can get it done, he would like to attend the Show 'n Shine on Sunday. David can be reached by mobile ( 0419258286 ) or via this website which he will be monitoring. So please, if you can help out he'll be able to come to the show and attend a few runs.
Thank you in advance,

Carlo.
Carlo Madaschi

Re: Suspension

Unread postby PhillB » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Carlo, I have a home made pump and pressure gauge, I've let mine down and back up with it, I've never used it to go from fully empty to fully up but i can't see why it wouldn't work.

Just need distilled water and green coolant to make up some fluid.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby Carlo Madaschi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks Phil, I'll make sure David gets your reply.

Carlo.
Carlo Madaschi

Unread postby PhillB » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:34 pm

If I get a chance I'll give him a ring tomorrow.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby Bill B » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Hello Carlo,
I don't know if you got to the MITG shown/shine, but if you still need a pump, I might be able to help you. Didn't see your post till now.
Bill
(Camden)
Bill B

Unread postby Carlo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Bill, thanks very much, but Phil was able to provide a pump, and the job is now done.
Thanks again for your help.

Carlo
Carlo

Unread postby PhillB » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi Bill, Thanks for the offer, as Carlo mentioned we were able to pump the car up using my home made pump, however I did recommend once the car is back on the road that it was worth using a proper Hydro Pump Unit on the Car to apply vacuum to ensure any air pockets are removed.

Do you have a proper BMC pump? If so you maybe able to assist at a later date when the car is complete and back on the road.

Cheers

Phill
PhillB

Unread postby Bill B » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Hello Phill,
Any time...
Yes I have the service pump with evacuation. But when pumping up from empty, all I've ever done is pump/empty quickly/pump up. The vacuum pump cannot take the air out of the lines because once you've reached max vacuum on the pump you have to disconnect the vacuum line and reconnect the pressure line, when air will re-enter through the schraeder valve anyway. Under 400psi plus loads, the air bubbles must collapse anyway. The vacuum side is only useful when removing struts - esp. front - to allow clearance to remove ball pin from top arm and bag.
Bill
Bill B

Unread postby PhillB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Ah ok. Yes I knew that the technique was to let down quickly a couple of time but because its a grease gun pump it takes forever. To pump it right up then down a couple of time would take ages. The cars owner just wanted the car up off the bumps for now so he could complete the assembly so didn't matter if there was a bit of air in there.

However I actually need to replace my knuckles on the front. I had heard you need to draw up the bags to get them in so I'm interested if you be able to help me out.

How hard are they usually to get out at the front?

Would I be able to come to you and see if we can evacuate enough to swap over the knuck joints? Or what would suit you? I'm in Thirroul

Cheers

Phill
PhillB

Unread postby Bill B » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Hello Phill,
We are away for the next few days but should be back by the weekend or just before. You do need the vacuum to make this job civilised.
The knuckles come out fairly easily from the bag but the nylon seat is often fused into the top arm.
Do you have new ball and hat sets, with boots? There are genuine ones and copies. I've mostly used the genuine Rover ones (from Minispares) but I don't think the copies are a problem.
You can fit new Hydro boots at this stage too if you wish!
I have plenty of fluid - not that you'll need much.
It's probably easier at my place since I have the tools, if that's OK.
Let me know when you want to do it. I don't have many fixed commitments.
Bill B

Next

Return to General Forum