mini upholstery

General Mini and non-Mini related chat.

Moderators: PhillB, Jonesy, timmy201, Sir Alec

Re: mini upholstery

Unread postby PhillB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 am

Hi Dennis. Do you mean around Wollongong?
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby denrobjoh denrobjoh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi Phil, I mean in the illawarra area
denrobjoh denrobjoh

Unread postby PhillB » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:30 am

Ok, I guess the next thing to consider is are you doing a custom interior, or are you after as close to original as possible?

Do you have the interior and it just needs fixing up, new foam, padding ect. or do you need to start from scratch?

If your seat covers are not too bad and it just needs padding it's not that hard to do yourself. I have a 68 "S" and repacked the front seats with new foam and strapping myself. (see photos down below)

If you have the old seats any decent upholsterer should be able to copy the way the old seats are done if you have them.(e.g. pattern/padding)

(Also if you are after original be aware around '67 the style and pattern of the seats and door cards changed.)

In the past I have used...

Badger J & H Auto Upholstery
Address:Rear 19 Kingsford StPostcode:2519City/Town:Fairy Meadow, Wollongong NSW
(02) 4283 4199

....Try him, although I have a feeling he has retired which is a shame as he did a lot of older cars.

Nearby, (who I have never used) but worth a try is...

M & D Reid Pty Ltd
Motor Body Trimmers - Fairy Meadow, NSW
34 Chapman St, Fairy Meadow NSW 2519
tel:0242855687

I know these below are further away but these guys have done a bit of mini stuff and so I know they have some of the patterns...

M & S Johnson Car Upholstery
U2/ 9 Mill Rd, Campbelltown NSW 2560
tel:0246283855

Also I have seen some very neat work (mostly custom) from...

X-Trim Motor Trimming
http://xtrim.net.au
Unit 8, 151 Hartley Rd, Smeaton Grange NSW 2567
(02) 4648 2156

my seats before...

after... note various thicknesses and panels of foam give the seat it's shape.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Yes,
Badger retired in the last year, he did a good job of repairing a torn seam on my front seat. I am hoping that M&D Reid will be a good alternative, would be good if whoever uses them provides feedback for us.
Trevor

Unread postby DaveP » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Sorry boys and girls, but unless Merv from M&D Reid has has changed the way in which he works, don't bother taking anything there to be done. When we were doing the headlining on James car I went there on three occasions plus phone calls to try and make a time to get it done. All I got was come back after this date, I'm to busy doing bus seats! When I finally got a date out of him, went to confirm before taking the car over the day before and then said he couldn't do it, Needless to say I did not bother going back and I would not recommend. I am not normally this harsh, but he is full of empty promises.
DaveP
DaveP

Unread postby Ryan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:55 am

You could try rod penrose at Kembla grange. He is a VW guy but appreciates all classics.
Ryan

Return to General Forum