Electronic Ignition

General Mini and non-Mini related chat.

Moderators: PhillB, Jonesy, timmy201, Sir Alec

Electronic Ignition

Unread postby Carlo Madaschi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Everyone, can anyone help me, I want to purchase an Electronic Ignition system for my Mini. I have tried most of the usual places, with some luck, but has anyone had any good experiences with suppliers - cost, knowledge etc?? If you can suggest anyone please let me know.
Thanks, Carlo.
Carlo Madaschi

Re: Electronic Ignition

Unread postby Wayne B » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Carlo
My electronic dizzy not in use yet but i made contact withthe bloke Tony in Brisbane via Ausmini and i think paid $150. This guy is an auto electrician. if you make the same post on Ausmini you are bound to pick him up. He sent it promptly.
Others may have more info???
All the best - Wayne :)
Wayne B

Unread postby timmy201 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Do you want the whole replacement distributor or just the add on module?
timmy201

Unread postby PhillB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Below are the details for Tony in Brisbane (who Wayne is talking about). I bought my module from him, (it simply replaces the points). He also sells complete distributors and other auto electrical parts such as a suitable coil and he is happy to advise what is needed. He's quite experienced with minis.

Auto Electrics on Wheels Pty Ltd (Electrical repairs & parts for Mini and British vehicles, over 40 years experience)
517 Camp Cable Road,
JIMBOOMBA, QLD, 4280,
Tel: (07) 5546 9065
Email: tonyviv2@bigpond.com

He also sells the Accuspark "Black box" (which I'm very keen to try). I had my distributor tested recently and the advance curve was all over the place and it's very hard to get the correct springs and parts now days. Basically with the black box you disable the mechanical advance in the distributor and the electronic box can be programmed (using your home computer) with an advance curve more suited to todays fuels and /or your engine.

see http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83483
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby Carlo Madaschi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks for your replies, I will try Tony in Brisbane. I have the 29D Distributor for which contactless ignition is apparently not available. I would have to buy the complete distributor, coil etc. I am happy to try the module if it provides the best outcome, in any case I'll be guided by those more experienced than me.
Thanks again Phil, Wayne and Timmy for you help,
Carlo.
Carlo Madaschi

Unread postby PhillB » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:07 am

Carlo Madaschi wrote:Thanks for your replies, I will try Tony in Brisbane. I have the 29D Distributor for which contactless ignition is apparently not available. I would have to buy the complete distributor, coil etc. I am happy to try the module if it provides the best outcome, in any case I'll be guided by those more experienced than me.
Thanks again Phil, Wayne and Timmy for you help,
Carlo.

Yes speak to Tony, he will know what is available. He has complete distributors that look identical to most of the originals also.

The black box module is separate to the contactless ignition anyway, i.e. it's something extra.

The Black box module replaces the mechanical weights and springs not the points.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby PhillB » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:32 am

I just had a quick search on Ausmini and it sounds like Tony has point replacement kits for the 29d.

When you speak to him check what coil you have. You need to be careful that the coil you use suits the electronic module that will replace your points.
PhillB

Unread postby Carlo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:19 pm

I have emailed Tony who has told me he has replacement kits for my distributor . I will call him next week to discuss what the best kit will be.
(Phill did you fit the kit to your own car ? If so, I may ask for some assistance in fitting mine when I get it. If not, would you suggest someone like Graeme Lord to do the install?)

Again thanks for your input,
Carl
Carlo

Unread postby PhillB » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Very easy.

The points are removed just the same as you would if they were being replaced.

The rotor button is removed and a ring is slipped over the shaft.

There is an extra wire to attach to the coil so theres a little bit of wiring involved.

The only issue might be that the timing could then be slightly out, you would check the timing before and then after to make sure it is the same. Just requires a timing light to check.

I'm happy to help you fit it, it's a pretty simple job usually.

Phill
PhillB

Unread postby Carlo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks Phill, I'll keep you posted - more for my benefit than for yours.
Carlo
Carlo

Next

Return to General Forum