Help Needed

General Mini and non-Mini related chat.

Moderators: PhillB, Jonesy, timmy201, Sir Alec

Help Needed

Unread postby Ryan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:45 am

Hi All,

I'm having trouble getting my mini to start. It appears to be the ignition system, as I can't see a spark.

Does anyone have a spare set of leads and coil that I could use to test it, or if anyone has some time to give me their opinion/help that would be much appreciated. I need this sorted ASAP as it has run out of rego and I need to renew it before the 3 months are up.

Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Re: Help Needed

Unread postby Trevor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:06 pm

Ryan,
Did you have any luck getting your car sorted? I have been tied up with things up to now so could not offer assistance, if you still need help & have time after work this week let me know when. I would not be able to help on Thursday or Friday.
Trevor

Unread postby PhillB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 am

Hi Ryan. I have spare coils and leads u are welcome to borrow. If I have time to drop in I’ll let u know. Otherwise u can pickup from thirroul Can leave stuff out if not home.

Do you have points or electronic ign. Worth checking however I don’t have spare points or ign module.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Unread postby Ryan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks Trevor and Phil for both of your offers.

I got the car to start, but it is missing under load and running very rough.
Trevor, I will contact you tomorrow if I am available on Wednesday.

To answer your question Phil, I have an electronic module in it.
When I got it running, it seemed to have consistent spark on all cylinders, so now I'm a bit confused.

Regards
Ryan
Ryan

Unread postby PhillB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:57 pm

hi Ryan. I thought I already replied earlier but it must have not sent.

There’s a good chance it is just stale fuel esp if it’s ages since you driven it. I’ve been told it starts to deteriorate after 2 weeks. I think it could be worse when the tank is less full. We never notice with our modern cars because their computers can compensate. I was having issues with starting and driving mine and once I got fresh fuel it was much better.

Another item to consider is the spark plugs. Mine kept missing badly esp when cold/damp. There must have been a dud plug as once replace issue was gone. They looked fine though, must have had a crack in the ceramic insulation.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Return to General Forum