Mk2 Jack needed

Post your for sale and wanted items here.

Moderators: Jonesy, timmy201, Sir Alec

Mk2 Jack needed

Unread postby wozzinberry » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

A funny thing happened on the way to Motorlife Museum for the display day on Sunday!
A puncture going around Kiama bends. This tested my spare bits in the boot! But yes there was a spare wheel(semi flat) and a jack and handle. But.... the Jack appears twisted enough that the car kept falling off it. A friend came to our rescue but then we visited 3 garages at Kiama and Albion Park all of which either didn’t have air or were broken!! Anyway a good Samaritan had a 12v air pump that got us out of trouble.

Moral to story. ?
Get prepared for next time!!!!!
So after buying new tyre today I will require a Car jack to suit my 1970 cooper S if someone out there has one please ?
wozzinberry

Re: Mk2 Jack needed

Unread postby Trevor » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:04 pm

I am sorry for your car jacking issues experienced conig to the Show n Shine, I agree it is wise to be prepared for next time.

A few points to consider:
1 - the BMC vertical mini jacks are the originals supplied however the thread becomes stripped or damaged & sometimes the threaded bolt becomes bowed. I would not rely on them except in an emergency if no other jack were available & only on very flat ground!
2 - generally a scissors jack works well under the subframe, be careful on sloping ground as the car tends to roll sideways off the jack once the car is lifted. Supercheap Autobarn or Repco sell scissor jacks new. (I tried to buy a second hand jack from Pick & Payless last year & they said they are no longer allowed to sell them anymore)
3 - Mini King may have NOS BMC jacks available if you are chasing an original jack & the red wheel spanner/jack spanner & hub cap remover that goes with it.

Trevor Jones, MITG
Trevor

Unread postby wozzinberry » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am

thanks Trevor. I am into Nowra today and will look at scissor lift jacks. or even a small hydraulic if low enough. I dont need to find original style if proves too difficult.. thanks for info.
wozzinberry

Unread postby PhillB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:07 am

If you do use an original jack (that fits into the sill) remember they are designed to be used with the door open. I have seen and heard of so many people trying to use them with the door closed and turning the jack half a turn at a time, swearing at the jack and risking damage to the paint work. You just need to be carful not to let the door fall closed on the jack or you damage the paint on the inside of the door.

The original jack,like any car boot jack, is a really just an emergency jack, I always carry an extra scissor jack or bottle jack if I go on a longer trip.
68 Morris Cooper S Mk1 (*ex 78 1275 LS 4th last built, 70 Morris 1500 OHC & 70 MiniMatic)
PhillB

Return to For Sale/Wanted