150th Anniversary Memorabilia
Book $25
A collection of historical documents and personal stories
of 150 years of Faith and Education in the Parish of Richmond.

Special edition envelope and stamp $5

Placemats $3 each or 2 for $5 or 4 for $10

Calendars $7.50

AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE FROM THE PIETY STORE OR CONTACT THE PARISH OFFICE ON 4578 1410 FOR POSTAGE COSTS

The Parish of Richmond is the largest geographical Parish in the Diocese, forming boundaries with Lithgow and Singleton. There are three Mass centres within the parish: St Monica's, Richmond & St Gregory's, Kurrajong and St John of God Chapel, North Richmond.

In January 1859, Archbishop Polding laid the foundation stone for St Monica's Church Richmond and Rev Therry opened and blessed the church on May 4, 1859. Additions were made in 1897 and 1954. A new church was built in Richmond in 1982.

The church was used as a school for many years until the convent was built in 1878 by the Good Samaritan Sisters, who remained in the parish until 1943, when the Poor Clare Sisters took charge of the school until 1973.

 

 

 

Highlights of the parish are its people; some with the traditions of being families now into their seventh and eighth generation of being part of the fabric that moulded the district. Cardinal Clancy is still referred to fondly as Father Ted, having celebrated his first Mass here. Also, Monsignor John Walsh is parish family.

One hundred and fifty years ago the people kept the faith by travelling by horse and sulky when possible to go to Mass. Today parishioners travel at least an hour from the outskirts of the parish.

 

 

On December 11, 2004 there was a celebration for the centenary of the 'new' church of St Gregory in Kurrajong. The Mass was presided by Bishop Kevin Manning and concelebrated by Cardinal Clancy, priests from the surrounding area and those priests who had previosly worked in the parish. The original St Gregory's had been built in 1840.

 

 

On November 24, 2007 there was a Mass of Thanksgiving celebrated by Bishop Manning in commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of the new church of St Monica in Richmond. In 2009 the parish reached its 150th Anniversary, with celebrations held on Sunday 3rd May, 2009.

 

 

This site is best viewed in IE7

Website maintained by Ballyann

home

mass

readings

weekly

youth

rosters

news

sacraments

history

contact

ministries

community

vision

links